2seventy bio Announces Strategic Restructuring to Prioritize Growth of Abecma, Streamline Pipeline Advancement and Preserve Financial Runway
Approximately 40% workforce reduction combined with related actions expected to achieve $130+ million savings in the 2024-2025 period; projected cash runway into at least 2026 to support focus on long-term mission
Company to internally advance fewer pipeline programs while expanding collaboration with JW Therapeutics to include new solid tumor and autoimmune programs; Company to gate at-risk investment in bbT369 (NHL) and SC-DARIC33 (AML) programs pending further clinical data readouts
Conference call today at
“2seventy’s mission remains the same: to unleash the power of the T-cell and develop un-incremental treatments for people living with cancer,” said
“The difficult but necessary changes we are making to our workforce, our programs and our cost structure reflect our commitment to advancing our pipeline and achieving value creating milestones with existing cash,” said
Business Updates, Restructure Actions and Financial Impacts
- Elimination of 176 roles, representing approximately 40% of our workforce
Expected annualized cost savings of at least
$65 million, or approximately $130 millionin the 2024-2025 period; additional savings possible as we continue rigorous efforts to right-size facilities and related external spend by 2025 to better reflect our current needs.
One-time restructuring costs of approximately
$9 million, primarily incurred in the third quarter of 2023.
- Implemented a capital-efficient translational development paradigm blending internal manufacturing (270-MPH), our expanded JW Therapeutics collaboration as well as select academic centers to efficiently explore our innovative cell therapies in the clinic
- Current balance of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities expected to support operations into 2026
Abecma and Pipeline Portfolio Updates
Abecma “Return to Growth:”
Revenue and impact to 2seventy: Based on an anticipated decline in Abecma sales in the third quarter, we believe full-year 2023 U.S. revenue for Abecma could be lower than the
$470-$570 millionrange previously projected. 2seventy continues to expect Abecma to remain profitable this year and contribute significantly toward our cash runway into at least 2026 and remains confident in Abecma’s long-term commercial potential.
Upcoming Milestones: The
December 16, 2023PDUFA date for potential label expansion based on the KarMMa-3 data in adult patients with triple-class exposed relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma and the planned initiation of the KarMMa-9 study in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma with sub-optimal response post-ASCT later this year provide both short- and medium-term grounds for continued optimism in the commercial potential of Abecma.
- Revenue and impact to 2seventy: Based on an anticipated decline in Abecma sales in the third quarter, we believe full-year 2023 U.S. revenue for Abecma could be lower than the
Updates on bbT369 and SC-DARIC-33 Programs
CRC-403study of bbT369 in patients with relapsed and/or refractory B cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (B-NHL) (wholly-owned)
- Clinical Data Update: Today, 2seventy is disclosing that the safety profile, CAR expansion kinetics, including the potential role of the CBL-B gene edit, and the clinical efficacy data, including complete responses in some patients observed to date is supportive of the Company’s decision to continue the Phase I study.
Future Development: While interest and enrollment at clinical study sites has been strong and initial data are encouraging, the Phase I dose escalation study of bbT369 has progressed slower than anticipated, due in part to the FDA mandated safety stagger and the often-aggressive nature of relapsed and/or refractory B-NHL, which can result in patients becoming ineligible for treatment. Despite these challenges, the study is actively enrolling at the third dose level. Given the anticipated pace of accrual and treatment, the Company expects to present the first data from the bbT369 study at a medical meeting in 2024.
- Consistent with the rest of the pipeline, the Company has markedly streamlined the cost structure for this program, gating further investment beyond Phase I on the achievement of transformational efficacy.
PLAT-08 clinical study of SC-DARIC-33 in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and next generation AML program (wholly-owned)
- The Company is working with the FDA to enable restart of the Phase 1 study, which is currently on clinical hold. 2seventy plans to limit financial commitment to the current Phase I trial.
- The Company will provide the next update on the PLAT-08 study upon completion of the Phase I dose escalation.
- Phase I
Partnered pipeline continues to develop and expand – two new programs approaching the clinic at year end
MUC-16 program in ovarian cancer (Regeneron partnership)
- IND submission is on track and anticipated by the end of 2023
MAGE-A4 T cell receptor (TCR) program in solid tumors (led by JW Therapeutics)
Led by JW Therapeutics, initiation of an investigator-initiated study in
Chinais ahead of schedule and anticipated by end of 2023.
- Led by JW Therapeutics, initiation of an investigator-initiated study in
JW Therapeutics Partnership Expansion
- As announced in a separate press release today, 2seventy bio and JW Therapeutics are planning to expand their collaboration to include an additional solid tumor program and the first-in-human assessment of 2seventy’s proprietary autoimmune-directed CAR T cell product.
- MUC-16 program in ovarian cancer (Regeneron partnership)
“After nearly 14 years as CEO of bluebird and 2seventy I feel beyond grateful and humbled to have had the opportunity to help bring four cell therapies to patients and do our part to advance the field," said
Conference Call Information
2seventy bio will host a conference call and live webcast today,
About 2seventy bio
Our name, 2seventy bio, reflects why we do what we do - TIME. Cancer rips time away, and our goal is to work at the maximum speed of translating human thought into action – 270 miles per hour – to give the people we serve more time. We are building the leading immuno-oncology cell therapy company, focused on discovering and developing new therapies that truly disrupt the cancer treatment landscape.
With a deep understanding of the human body’s immune response to tumor cells and how to translate cell therapies into practice, we’re applying this knowledge to deliver next generation cellular therapies that focus on a broad range of hematologic malignancies, including the first FDA-approved CAR T cell therapy for multiple myeloma, as well as solid tumors. Our research and development is focused on delivering therapies that are designed with the goal to “think” smarter and faster than the disease. Importantly, we remain focused on accomplishing these goals by staying genuine and authentic to our “why” and keeping our people and culture top of mind every day.
For more information, visit www.2seventybio.com.
2seventy bio is a trademark of
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of applicable laws and regulations. These statements include, but are not limited to: statements about our plans, strategies, timelines and expectations with respect to the development, manufacture or sale of our product candidates, including the results and expected timing of ongoing and planned clinical trials for our product candidates and for ABECMA (ide-cel) timelines and expectations with respect to regulatory approval and related filings for our product candidates; statements regarding expected ABECMA